Tooth Fillings | McKinney TX
Tooth fillings are intended to replace tooth structure lost to cavity or decay. If no treatment is performed the bacteria will keep destroying more tooth structure and the cavity will get bigger in size. The worst outcome of this is that either the cavity approaches the middle of the tooth where your nerves and blood vessels are or the bacteria destroy most of your tooth and the tooth cannot be saved at this point.
Dr. Prida has trained on all the advances in dental materials and tooth filling techniques to offer new ways to create more pleasing, natural-looking smiles for McKinney. Tooth-colored fillings also called composite fillings, offer an aesthetic alternative to silver (dental amalgam) fillings that are hard to match.
There are several types of tooth-colored materials that can be used to repair damaged or decayed teeth. Several factors influence the performance, durability, longevity and expense of dental fillings.
Types of Tooth Fillings
- Amalgam - Amalgam is composed of a mixture of silver, copper, tin and mercury, all of which combine to form a strong and stable filling material. It is durable, easy to use, highly resist-ant to wear and relatively inexpensive compared with other materials.
- Composite - Composite fillings are a mixture of acrylic resin and finely ground glass like particles that produce a tooth-colored restoration. Composite fillings provide durability and resistance to fracture in small-to-mid–sized restorations that need to withstand moderate chewing pressure.
- Glass ionomers - Glass ionomers are tooth-colored materials made of a mixture of fine fluoride-containing glass powder and organic acid that forms a solid restoration able to release fluoride.
The outcome is naturally restored tooth structure that mimic many of the qualities of natural tooth structure and translucency.
Advantages of Tooth Fillings
- They closely match natural tooth color and appearance
- They bond to tooth structure chemically
- The bonding of white fillings to the tooth restore 85% – 95% of the original strength of the tooth
- They completely harden in seconds instead of days required by some other materials
- Tooth sensitivity, if any, due to composite resin use is minimal and brief
- They may be used on front and back teeth without compromising aesthetics
- If damaged they can be repaired
The ultimate decision about what to use is best determined by the patient in consultation with Dr. Prida. Before your treatment begins, discuss the options because strength, aesthetics, cost and longevity of dental filling materials may vary in different situations and for different patients.
The McKinney Dentist, Dr. Prida always takes every factor into account when recommending a particular filling material for your teeth. Schedule your appointment with Stonelodge Dental today.
Ernesto Prida, DDS
Cosmetic Dentist and General Dentist located in McKinney, TX
Dr. Prida will treat your cavity by removing the decayed portion of the tooth and then "fill" the area on the tooth where the decayed material once lived. These substances mimic many of the qualities of natural tooth structure, such as wear-resistance and translucency. Dr. Prida is an expert in dental fillings and offers this procedure to his patients in McKinney, Prosper, Frisco, Celina and nearby areas.
What Patients Say About the McKinney Dentist
"Dr. Prida and his staff were amazing, my exam and cleaning went perfectly and I would recommend this Stonelodge Dental to anyone who asks... Beautiful office and friendly staff!!"
"Dr. Prida is the best dentist in the world with engineering background and did an amazing job for my mom. I would recommend him to everybody."
"The staff at Stonelodge Dental are the most awesome folks you will ever meet, The whole crew was supportive during the process and post procedure to my 4 year old. I can't thank them enough for the care they provided."
"I'm beyond pleased with the staff at Stonelodge Dental. The staff treated my kids and I with kindness . They made us feel like part of the family and made my son's wish come true . Dr. Prida fixed my son's teeth and now he can smile again. Thank you! I highly recommend anyone to come to Stonelodge Dental. I'm one happy mamma!"
"I had my teeth removed and fillings done by Dr. Prida. He was very professional, his staff is great and his services are reasonable. I would recommend using him for any of your dental needs."
"I loved my experience! It was my first time going to the dentist in almost 4 years, so I was a little nervous. When I got there they made me feel so comfortable. Definitely making this my go to Dentist. Thanks Dr. Prida and staff!"
$99 New Patient Exam and Cleaning*
Stonelodge Dental welcomes you to come in for a New Patient Exam and Cleaning and receive a comprehensive oral exam, X-rays, consultation and more at our dental office located in McKinney TX. Call 214-613-1500 or contact us to schedule your visit today at the McKinney Dentist. Your exam includes:
- Comprehensive oral exam
- Any necessary X-rays
- Consultation with the doctor
- Healthy mouth cleaning*
- Oral cancer screening
*For new patients only. In the absence of gum disease (must have a healthy mouth).